Tuesday 29 November 2011

Interview with CitrusChris. Head Developer for Simulation Game - D.E.V.

Today I was presented with the one in a lifetime chance of interviewing a game developer. CitrusChris - Head Developer of the Game. The game I interviewed him about was a game called D.E.V.
The interview will explain the game and some other key things you would like to know!
Developers Website

So without further ado... here we go.


TheRussianPigeon: So, for the people who do not know what D.E.V. is, can you explain it?

ChrisC: D.E.V. is a simulation game. It focuses around a small games development company that you have just founded, in your mom's garage. You hire and train staff to work in an office you design, making games based on your orders. Whilst the game centers on developing video games, you can also branch out into other avenues, such as console development, and contracted work. Whilst there is no 'end game' scenario, so you can keep on playing indefinitely, there are a number of milestones that can be achieved. For example, best newcomer, most anticipated release and more. You will lead your company through the ranks, from a small, independant indie company, to a large scale corporation.

TheRussianPigeon: When is the game expected to be released and on what platform?

ChrisC: Current projections are for the game to enter a small closed beta in the first quarter of 2012 (around March time). After the beta indentifies bugs and "balance" issues, these will be fixed, and hopefully released in the second quarter of 2012 (around May or June). The game will be available on Steam for Mac and Windows, and as a stand-alone product on Windows, Mac and Linux.

TheRussianPigeon: What gave you the idea of the game?

ChrisC: The idea was influenced heavily by the game Game Dev Story, by Kairosoft. This game is available on iOS and Android platforms. However, when I played this game, I found it to be too transparent. Too repetitive. The game was basically the same once you hit a certain point. I also wanted to change a few things with the basic mechanics of the Kairo title, so I started D.E.V.

TheRussianPigeon: I have played the game before but I'm sure D.E.V. will be better. Will there be 'acheivments' in D.E.V.?

ChrisC: Oh, yes, definitely. The achievement framework is already in the code. Achievements make a game even more addicting, because of the "must get this" effect on the player. However, D.E.V. achievements will not be boring ones like "Start the game!"

TheRussianPigeon: How much will D.E.V. cost?

ChrisC: D.E.V. will hopefully retail for around £4.99. However, there will be pre-orders for £1.99, hopefully from the time of the closed beta.

TheRussianPigeon: I saw on your website that people can donate. How does this help you and will donators receive any perks?

ChrisC: Originally the donation link was there for anyone who used my Bukkit plugins and wanted to contribute to me.
ChrisC: However,
ChrisC: Donations will help in the running of the website, will fund development and will help me earn some money as I'm unemployed at the moment. I may consider some form of donator perks, for donations over a certain amount. This is yet to be confirmed.

TheRussianPigeon: So, you are the only person working on D.E.V. Correct?

ChrisC: I'm the only programmer working on the project, yes.

TheRussianPigeon: What do you like to do when you are not working on D.E.V.?

ChrisC: I'm an avid gamer, and play titles such as Minecraft, Terraria, Assassin's Creed, Fable and Elder Scrolls. I'm also a college student working on a programming BTEC (which is 3 A Levels). I also spend time with my girlfriend.

TheRussianPigeon: What/Who inspired you to make a game?

ChrisC: Honestly, Notch. Mojang. The entire story of Minecraft inspired me. And, seeing all these indie bundles and indie games making it big.

TheRussianPigeon: Can you reveal any exclusive information about D.E.V. for the blog viewers?

ChrisC: Unfortunately, there's not much "exclusive" information relating to D.E.V. currently. And even if there was, I don't think I'd be allowed to say it.

TheRussianPigeon: That's fair enough. Once D.E.V. is complete, what will you do next?

ChrisC: I have a few DLC ideas for D.E.V., and will obviously provide bug updates when required. After that, I'm sure a new game will work its way onto my lap.

TheRussianPigeon: Why do you think people will buy D.E.V. and How do you think it will stand out amongst other games in the Steam Market?

ChrisC: Because of the sheer popularity and addictiveness of the Kairo title. I've seen so many reviews of the Kairo title asking for more and comments on how addictive the game is. However, I'm not sure how well it will stand out in the market. We'll see.

TheRussianPigeon: At what age did you get interested in game development and When did you learn about Java coding?

ChrisC: Ooh, well I've been interested in games since a young age, and developing them came with software and web development which I started getting into at age 13. I only recently learnt Java coding, when I decided to be involved with making plugins for the Bukkit project. This would have been around May 2011.

TheRussianPigeon: Finally, do you have any advice for any people that want to learn about game development?

ChrisC: My advice is to simply jump in to some code. Read some online tutorials, or find an open source project and learn how the code works.

---End Interview---

From this interview I learnt lots of things I did not know about D.E.V.
Chris is a really awesome genuine guy.






No comments:

Post a Comment